Jackbox Games is best known for its rapidly expanding catalog of critically acclaimed party games, including Quiplash, Drawful, Fibbage, The Jackbox Party Pack, The Jackbox Party Pack 2 and the recently released (and unsurprisingly named) The Jackbox Party Pack 3. As Jackbox Games moves into the last 83% of this century, we hope to build on our successful business by pushing the boundaries of party games with new technology, new game concepts and new forms of interactivity. We also hope the sandwich shop doesn’t put too much mayonnaise on our sandwich next time.
Our players interact with party games displayed on a big screen, using their phones or tablets as controllers. While our games are often played at home in small groups of 2-8 people, we also support large-scale games at conferences or via Twitch streaming–where thousands of users can connect and interact.
We’re a small group (around 25 people) of very talented, funny and creative individuals looking for a summer Digital Artist intern to help us build our next generation of games.
Check out our website for more info about who we are and what we make. www.jackboxgames.com
HOW QUAINT… BUT WHAT’S THE JOB?
We need an Artist intern to work within an Adobe Animate/Flash-based pipeline to create illustrations and animations on a full-time basis over the summer. An artist who gets the technology but who can actually draw with a pencil as well.
- Editing interactive art and animation
- Creating assets for videos and interactive graphics
- Assisting Art Director and/or Art Lead with daily projects and workload
- Thoughtfully providing, and graciously accepting, feedback on your work and the work of others, to ensure that the end product is the best we can make
What skills and experiences are we looking for?
- College senior or recent graduate
Your portfolio/reels should show the following:
- A great eye for design
- Traditional drawing skills
- Interest in typography
- Basic/working knowledge of Flash/Actionscript
- We also want to see basic computer skills, including:
- Flash (a MUST)
- HTML and HTML5 knowledge
- After Effects
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
What Characteristics should a Jackbox Graphic Artist have?
- Exceptionally creative (have your own ideas and vision)
- Team player
- Strong communication skills
- Fast and efficient
- Good sense of humor
- Ability to adopt a multitude of styles and run with it
- Ability to turn “I am looking for something kind of like this” into “Yeah! That’s exactly what I was thinking!”
We only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Jackbox Games is a group effort and you must be capable of working collaboratively with creative, technical and sales types. Everyone here shares a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere.
NUTS AND BOLTS
This is a full-time paid internship that lasts from early June to late August. We are flexible as far as your schedule is concerned, but the position will be 10-12 weeks long. Pay will be based on experience and fit (between $10-16/hour). Interns will be working on-site in our Chicago office. We will not consider remote employees for this position.
You will have access to all of our office facilities, including the game room, kitchen (stocked with food, especially in the first 3-6 minutes after the weekly delivery) and our luxurious bathroom complete with toilet AND sink.
Great! We look forward to reading your application. Make sure it includes:
- A cover letter that includes three reasons you think you’d be great for the gig, focusing on how your past work experience has prepared you for this kind of position. We weigh cover letters heavily. Please feel free to write in your own voice –most cover letters are standard and boring, and that just isn’t us.
- Your resume and a link to your portfolio or reel.
Email your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We know it’s a time commitment to prepare an application. And we respect that effort by thoughtfully reviewing every complete application and responding one way or the other. But that kind of thoughtful review means that it sometimes takes us awhile to get back to applicants, so please NO PHONE CALLS. The time we spend responding to phone calls and emails is time we could spend actually moving the process along – so please be patient with us!
Thanks for your interest in Jackbox Games!